Lorie Bennett-Wadsworth

Home Forums Recreational Truffle Dog Training 101 Lorie Bennett-Wadsworth

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Alana McGee
    Keymaster

Welcome to class Lorie! This is the forum topic where you will post your questions and homework videos for feedback from the instructors. Please take a moment to tell us about yourself, your dog and your interest in truffle hunting.

Class begins February 1st but you already have access to the first lesson so go ahead and check that out! You can begin posting video homework and questions February 1st.

*to be notified by email of replies in this forum topic please check the box below your reply.

Alana McGee
    Keymaster

Hello Lorie. Welcome to the truffle hunting. We are excited to have you with us.

Lorie
    Participant

Hi there. Well we live in Lacey, WA and our family belongs to the South Sound Mushroom Club and enjoy hunting as a family. We have a year old Basset Hound named Fannie Annie Oakley and she has shown promise of being quite a hunter herself. She has quite a nose. We are working with her still on simple commands. So I’m hoping she’ll perform as we hope. Looking forward to seeing where we end up after this course. I have ordered the supplies I need for you and sent an email in search of the ones I was unable to get (fresh/frozen truffles and the Morel spritzer).

• This reply was modified 6 years, 10 months ago by Lorie.
    Alana McGee
    Keymaster

Hi Lorie!

Look at that face! What a cutie.

Love the folks at the South Sound Club. Tell them hello from us, and I know they will love having you and Ms. Oakley along for forays too I am sure!

Don’t forget to check out the links above via the discussion forum. We’ll be posting other material there for you to view as well.

Alana McGee
    Keymaster

Hi Lorie just checking in- how is the training going? Let us know.

Lorie
    Participant

Hi Alana-
    Sorry it’s been an insane couple of weeks and we unfortunately have not been able to do much training. Next week is looking like a great week to really delve into it. I have a problem though. I can’t find my class information now. It says I have no active classes????

Lorie

Alana McGee
    Keymaster

Hi Lorie

Glad we got that sorted out- but let us know if it is not showing up still- we’ll figure out what’s going on.

Also I recently graded your quiz, you can hover over the text to see our comments. Love all the foraging you do!

Lorie
    Participant

Hi there! Just to keep you up to date on Fanny’s training. I think she now knows her marker and reward quite well! I’m finding it hard to find space from our other dogs in our home to work with her on imprinting. I’m going to clear some space in my daughters room where I can work with her without interference. She really picked up on the marker (clicker) immediately. I’m hoping the rest goes as well. I had a question about saying a command along with the clicker. I’d like to work with her on other commands such as sit, stay, come. Do I use the same technique and if so do you speak before or after you click or does it matter?

Thanks
    Excited to start the imprinting!

Alana McGee
    Keymaster

Hi Lorie.

As for saying a cue/ command. The way dogs process information and learn cues is linear. Dogs can learn by labeling, meaning you say the cue as you do it, however it is more effective to say the word before as a prompt.

The click is to mark the exact moment the dog does something you want, offers the desired behavior. You ask for a behavior such as “sit”, the dog does it (as the dog is doing it- you click). The click becomes an affirmative marker that that behavior was correct and the dog will now also anticipate reward. The clicking is a marker. You can say “good sit” afterwords but that is a label. Labels can be reinforcing of a principle.

You use the same technique with clicking with whatever it is you are trying to achieve.

Example: You are trying to teach a lie down and Fanny already knows sit. You ask her to sit. She does. You then prompt “lie down” and lure her into position (this is just one example). The moment she lies down, or gets close if that’s as good as you can get right now, that’s when you click. It can work in incremental stages, that’s whats great about using clickers to help you reach end criteria. Let’s say at first she only would put her elbows down but wouldn’t actually be lying down. You can start by rewarding for more and more of the desired behavior.

Watch the video again by Ruth LaRoque and notice when she is saying her command/ cue words vs the click.

If you have video of it, we can better point out moments and what you are doing which may be able to better help illustrate this idea.

Lorie
    Participant

So I have bee working with Fanny and today decided to video different portions of our training. Here is the first one reviewing charging the marker.

Lorie
    Participant

Here we are exercising scent impression

Lorie
    Participant

I forgot to reward near the target. I will do this next session and introduce hides.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 9 months ago by Lorie.
    Alana McGee
    Keymaster

Hi Lorie

Sorry for the delay! I’ll go through each video:

Charging the marker:
    Your charging the Marker looks great. It is clear that Fanny knows what this means! Remember you can do this at any time of day too, even when just sitting around on the couch!

Scent impression:
    This looks pretty good. The one thing I would say is watch this again and look at the timing of your click. It’s a bit tricky at this stage, but you want the click to be right as Fanny’s nose is touching the target, not after. Otherwise you are marking her pulling away from the Target. It’s technical and specific, and I think Fanny has already generalized, but we wanted you to be aware.

Love that tail of hers!!!

3rd video:
    You are correct on the rewarding at source- good catch on that. Being at source also allows you to draw out and lengthen the reward sequence. Self analysis is an incredibly valuable tool. The other thing we would recommend is try to only give the cue/ command “shroom on” once or twice if you see her looking to you for direction. When we say cues over and over again they can lose their value and just become noise. Not critical right this second, but do try to be aware of your verbalizations. Doesn’t mean you have to be silent, but use the cue “Shroom on” for a very specific start to your session or like at 0:12 when she looks to you for direction.

GREAT timing on your click at 0:21. Fanny is great and very wiggly!

You guys look like you are off to a great start and doing a good job!

Alana McGee
    Keymaster

Hi Lorie.

Sorry for the delay! Your quiz is graded. You can hover over the questions to see our answers.

Be sure to check out the suggestion about crate/ separation alternatives. It is, personally, something I do often as we have 4 dogs in the house. I don’t always have a way to separate dogs in the household where I can work with one individually, and so I use my car basically as a crate. That way I can work with one dog at a time, without other distractions.

Just remember to make sure the car is a fun place for your other dogs to be!

Alana McGee
    Keymaster

The homework forum topics are now closed for posting. If you would like to save any of your work from your forum thread here, please do before June 1st, 2015.

You will be able to view your course lessons for one full year from the date of purchase.

Thank you for joining us! We hope to see you in the next course, Developing a Reliable Truffle Dog Team!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • The topic ‘Lorie Bennett-Wadsworth’ is closed to new replies.