The program commences with an introduction to basic groundwork for truffle scent training including games and exercises to strengthen your bond with your canine and boost confidence. It proceeds with a step-by-step guide to include how to create reliable alerts and strengthen searching behaviors.
Objective: By the end of the course most student’s dogs will be able to:
- Identify the source scent of a truffle.
- Locate a hidden truffle indoors with limited distractions.
- Begin developing consistent alert behaviors.
- When presented with more than one identical targets, the dog will correctly identify the one containing truffle scent with at least 80% accuracy.
- When given a verbal cue, the dog will correctly locate a single hidden target indoors 4 out of 5 times without showing signs of frustration or stress.
- When locating a truffle scent, the dog demonstrates an initial identifiable alert with 90% consistency.
Designing Sessions for Optimum Learning
Scent Imprinting/ Identifying the Correct Scent
Basic Indoor Box
Shaping an Alert
How Scent Moves
Teaching Reliable Alerts
Intermediate Indoor Box Hides
Advanced indoor box hides
Advanced Indoor Hides (without boxes)
Multiple Hot Targets
Exercises and Assignments:
Each lesson will include written instructions and video demonstrations for exercises.